Summertime Fire Safety Tips for the Home
July 24th, 2018
Best advice on how to avoid fires
With hot-weather activities in full swing due to the UK’s longest and hottest heatwave. We would like to remind people on how to be safe this summer, prevention is the best form of firefighting – below is a guide on how to reduce the risks of a fire. Enjoying the summer is great, but it is important that you follow all rules, regulations and safety instructions.
Here are tips to remember when outside.
- When barbecuing outside this summer, keep in mind that propane and charcoal grills should only be used outside and should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under leaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep your BBQ clean and remove all grease or fat build-up.
- Always make sure to watch children and pets around BBQs.
- If you’re in a location where a fire is permitted, be sure they are set at least 25 feet away from any flammable items such as clothing, debris or structure that can burn.
- Before you light a campfire, make sure to clear away dry leaves, sticks, low branches and shrubs. Avoid burning on windy, dry days. Both can cause a fire that can get out of control quickly.
- Never leave a fire unattended. It only takes a few minutes for it to spread and cause damage.
- Always make sure you have a hosepipe/bucket of water or alternately shovel and sand nearby to put out a fire and be sure it is completely extinguished before leaving the site.
About Cannon Fire Protection
With almost 30 years experience, Cannon Fire Protection has developed an excellent reputation within the fire protection industry throughout the United Kingdom and Europe.
For well over a decade now the company has focused on supporting fire industry trade users, providing turnkey solutions for fixed fire suppression. Independent auditing of our quality management systems, contracting and service operations ensures the very best provision of support in our sector. Cannon Fire Protection is part of the Asset Protection Group.